When the COCKER SPANIEL SOCIETY OF NEW SOUTH WALES was officially formed on the 1st September 1947 the first meeting was held at the YWCA Rooms, Liverpool St Sydney, with Mr H. Streeter as President.
The first show was held on the 21st February 1948. It was proposed to have 3 Championship shows per year in February, June & October and a Puppy parade between October & February.
In November 1947 there were 48 official members, which increased to 140 by June 1948. At the inaugural meeting a motion was put and passed that classes be held for both solid colours and parti colours (a practice that has survived till today). The first show received 211 entries consisting of 147 dogs.
The second show was held on 23rd June 1948 and arrangements had been made for a special tram to take exhibitors to and from the show grounds, departing from the Quay at 11.30am, the railway at 11.50 and leaving the show grounds at 5.30pm.
In August 1948 the Club with the Victorian Cocker Spaniel Club sought affiliation with the Cocker Club of England. This continues today and 'The Rose Bowl Trophy', donated by the Cocker Spaniel Club of England is presented each August to the Best In Show Winner in NSW.
The 3rd show in October 1948 had an entry fee of 2/6 (members) & 3/- (non-members), with Child Handlers 6d.
George (Dandy of Rio), Winnie (Wandilla Winnette), Wee Lass of Glenroy & Nancy
In 1985 a number of the Cocker Societies around Australia came together to establish the National Cocker Spaniel Council of Australia. The first National was held in Melbourne in 1985, with Richmond Weir of the famous Weirdene Kennels UK as the judge. The Cocker Spaniel Society of NSW has hosted the National four times in 1987, 1996, 2006 and again, with great success, in 2016.
The Society is still strong today and over the years has always looked for new ways to educate the public and keep it relevant for today's breeders.
Breed History Links